Sewn: McCalls 6506

Hello Lovelies.. Well I have finished McCall's 6506, a sleeveless shirt dress? I really like this pattern as it has the potential for so many variations. After seeing this dress on a blog ( I can't remember where) and discovering that I had this in my stash, I really wanted to make it up. So I made a toile of the bodice, size 16 grading the waist to  size 20 for the waist. After making the toile up in my sewing class, we decided that the original collar was way, way to 70's for us.



So I took off about 1.5cm it and it looked much better.

I also dropped the front bodice by 1".

Once I got the collar  and bodice sorted, the rest of it went together pretty much like a dream - no issues to speak of.

I learnt a neat little trick to mitre the corners for the pockets - love youtube. Discovered the 1/4" foot on my machine whilst doing the topstitching, that was pretty cool.

The only thing I did differently was that the pattern asked for the collar stand to be edgestitched and I didn't. I thought that this would make it too stiff, so I just hand sewed it down at the back (inside).

Things I will do differently next time..

1. Make it a bit longer.. I don't have the best looking legs, and do prefer my skirts below my knee. 2. Could take the waist in a bit - might try doing a size 18 bottom 3. Move the pockets to the outside a bit more.. both my husband and son's first comments were about them. They are a bit close together.

Depending on the fabric, I could gather the skirt as well as making it an A-line, even a straight skirt. Choices !


Dress-1
Back-view

It could also do with a belt stay at the back as it tends to ride up, but not sure as there is no where really obvious to put it..mmmm.  Anyways.. I really like the process with this dress and really really pleased with the way it turned out.

Now onto my next project.. I thinks me may do a skirt for work. I want to try and draw up my own pattern again using my pattern drafting tool. Later!!

Stephanie


dress, sewStephaniedressComment