Sewn: Simplicity 1803
Of course you take your sewing dummy out to the garden to photograph don't you??? Totally. I had just finished washing my car and couldn't bothered getting dressed up to take photos, so the dummy got dressed and moved outside. I started this dress awhile ago whilst taking part in the Outfit Along held by Lauren (Lladybird), let me see.. that was in June. I was also suppose to make a cardigan to go with it, but didn't love the pattern I had chosen, so that didn't get finished. I did decide though to wear this dress to Frocktails held on the 13th of September here in Sydney.
For this pattern, for the first time, I used the finished measurements and cut the pattern out based on these. I found that I had to make very little changes. The shoulder needed to be lifted up a bit and the princess curve just needed to be straightened as the bottom of it near the waist was pointing out to the sides a bit.
I also followed Lauren's suggestion and moved the pockets to the side. The pattern has them right in front panels, which is just weird.
I picked up the fabric from The Remnant Warehouse and decided that as it was quite thin, to underline it with a white cotton voile. This really made the colours pop out and I was really pleased with this decision.
I overlocked all the seams and handstitched the hem up. I decided after sewing the zip in that I didn't like the fact that you could see the stitching, so did my first handpicked zip. I thought the result wasn't too bad for my first go, after the first 4 goes, mind you.
The sleeves had three options and I decided to with the longest version, which had a lovely little "v" cut into it.
It also had a little pleat on the top of it, of which I don't have a good photo of.
Lauren also showed how to put in pleats instead of the gathered skirt as called for by the pattern. I thought that my fabric was too thick for gathering - good call..
Overall I am really happy with this dress. The only issue I have is my "product" placement on the bodice..lets just say that my left side is the best side....
I think I will make this dress up again for summer and with different sleeves, as it is an easy sew. And yes it could have done with a good iron for the photo shoot. It was also getting dark, so the photos are not the best.
So until next time..